Friday, October 10, 2008

Advice for Day 6: Sometimes You Need Drunken Rainy Days and Rainy Drunken Days

They are both the same really. Slow, sluggish, sloshy and of course necessary every once and a while.

Three isolated days at my cabin, turned into three drearily perfect rainy days in the Northwoods; three glorious days where nothing could be expected from me except maybe to make another brandy and coke.

And that is what I did. I made myself just one more drink and watched old movies, until the black and white of Audrey Hepburn seemed to be in color. I laid there, under my sweating glass tumbler of brandy, coveting how good a world in black and white.

The world slowed down for the night and it seemed simple, just like pearls or love. All I needed to do was make one small elegant kitten-heeled step towards Chicago and that would be enough.

I don’t need to jet off to Santiago or even abandon sunlight for the wintry mountains of Alaska. I don’t need to create an adventure worthy of the silver screen; I just need to create a beginning to this plain Midwestern girl’s post-college life. And if that life starts and ends in Chicago, all the simpler and happier the story will be.

And it only took me 4 tumblers for this revelation.

No comments: